The Anaconda Company was during great part of the 20th century one of the largest mining companies in the world. Initially producing copper, it diversified into other metals such as aluminum, silver and uranium.
Marcus Daly, and Irish immigrant, founded the Anaconda Gold and Silver Mining Company in 1880 with a group of investors, including George Hearst, father of famous William Randolph Hearst, to operate mines in Butte, Montana. In 1882 they discovered copper and in 1891 the company was renamed as Anaconda Mining Company. Four years later, in 1895, the company changed its name again to Anaconda Copper Mining Company.
In 1899 the company and others in the area were bought by the Amalgamated Copper Company, a trust affiliated with the Standard Oil from John D. Rockefeller. The companies continued to operate independently and during the following years Anaconda acquired all the other companies in the Trust and started buying copper companies outside the USA. In 1915 the Amalgamated Copper Company ceased to exist and Anaconda became the largest producer of copper in the world. It changed its name in 1955 to The Anaconda Company.
In 1921 it already controlled all copper mines in Chile but in 1971 the new government of Salvador Allende expropriated them. With the overthrow of Allende the new military government agreed to pay $250 million for the expropriated mines.
The losses in Chile and the low prices of copper weakened the company, that was acquired in 1977 by the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO)
Certificate of 10 shares
Country of Issue: USA
Date of Certificate: September 15th, 1939
Measures (width x height, cm): 30,5 x 20,5
Signatures: Hand written